Most of people feel negligibly tiny looking at the mountains. Ancient stone giants are unimaginably huge, and you feel it quite literally with all your skin being in such place and looking on high peaks.
Top facts about mountains
- The highest countries in the world are Bolivia and Nepal. The pressure in some cities there is so low that many tourists feel constantly headache being there.
- There are 14 mountains in the world with a height of more than 8 kilometers (4,97 miles), and more than a hundred with a height of more than 7.2 kilometers (4,47 miles).
- The highest mountain in the Solar system is Olympus, an ancient volcano located on Mars.
- In most of countries a mountain can be called so if it has at least 500m (0,3 mile) from the foot to the top.
- Many inhabited islands are actually tops of seamounts or extinct volcanoes.
- The height of the highest peak known as Everest is impressive — almost 9 kilometers (5,6 miles). But the Hawaiian volcano Mauna Kea from is even higher from the foot to the top — 10 kilometers (6,2 miles) appoximately. However, Mauna Kea stands only 4 km above sea level. But who will say that is not enough? 🙂
- One hundred highest mountains of the Earth,hoisted on each other one by one, would turn into the top height of almost 755 kilometers (469 miles).
- Only a little more than 30 brave climbers reached tops of all 14 highest mountains of the world.
- The great Everest was at the bottom of the ancient Tethys ocean once. A lot of marine fossils were found here.
- Sometimes you can see amazing motionless clouds of strange shape while being on mountain. The reason for this is the coincidence of many air flows.
- Gangkhar Puensum mountain in asian country Bhutan is still unconquered. Nobody reached its top.
- The most voluminous mountain in the world is Mauna Loa volcano with the volume of more than 75 thousand cubic kilometers (20 cubic miles).
- Mountain visited by more climbers than any other one is Monadnock peak of USA. Its height slightly less than a kilometer (0,7 mile).
- The Himalayan mountain Annapurna is the real murderer. More than 20% of all climbers who tried to reachits peak never returned.
- Chilean mountain Ohos del Salado is the highest active volcano in the world, its height is almost 7 km (4,3 miles).