24 interesting facts about Vatican
The Vatican is a real repository of priceless monuments of history and culture, among other things, and this tiny theocratic state is respected throughout the world because of its influence on Catholics, which are very many in several dozens of countries.
Top facts about Vatican
- Vatican is an enclave state located in Rome.
- It has its own” army ” — the famous Swiss quardians.
- Also it has its own money and stamps.
- Vatican is the smallest state in the world among the recognized ones.
- This country doesn’t have the divorce procedure, the annulment of marriage is only possible here.
- The state border has a total length of 1.86 mi (3.2 km).
- Amazing fact: Vatican officially acquitted Galileo accused of heresy only in 1992.
- The Embassy of Italy in the Vatican is located on the territory of Italy, so it’s really unique.
- Local state system is a theocratic monarchy.
- The head of state is the Pope elected by the Council of cardinals for life.
- 100% of local population are Catholics.
- In the entire history of the Vatican about one and a half hundred marriages only was concluded on its territory.
- Vatican has its own football team.
- Local authorities have digitized their entire library and made it available to all who wish to use it free of charge.
- The literacy rate in Vatican is 100%.
- Vatican is a state never threatened by any natural disasters.
- The total area of the Vatican is 0.44 square kilometers only. That’s 5 times lesser than area of Principality of Monaco (top facts about Monaco).
- Vatican has its own railroad with a length of 852 meters.
- Vatican is the only country in the world where no children were born in 1983.
- This country doesn’t have its own agriculture. All food here is imported.
- But there is a radio station that broadcasts around the world in more than twenty languages.
- There are only 78 titles on a Vatican local map.
- The only sports facility here is a tennis court.
- There’s a street called as “street of sports”. In fact is a narrow path leading to the court mentioned above.