27 interesting facts about Monaco
The Principality of Monaco is a tiny but really prosperous state. It has an impressive long history and original culture, and all of this is located on very compact area.
Top facts about Monaco
- Monaco is the smallest state in the world excepting Vatican.
- However, he population density here is the highest one.
- The area of Monaco is only 0.77 sq. miles (2.02 sq. km). Well, a little bit more now as they keep making artificial islands 🙂
- About 30k of foreigners employed in Monaco come here every day to work from France.
- 80% of people living here are immigrants.
- If the princely dynasty in this country will be interrupted for any reason, the state will go under French control.
- Protection of the principality is carried out by France.
- Monaco is one of the few countries where you can use real military weapons in movie-making process.
- This country has no external public debt.
- Local citizens are not allowed to visit a casino. All casinos are for foreigners only.
- There is only one University in Monaco.
- Almost the entire territory of country can be seen by police video cameras.
- The crime rate in Monaco is one of the lowest on the planet.
- The national orchestra of the principality is bigger than its army.
- Monaco has the highest police-to-population ratio in the world.
- Officially the country was created in 1215.
- Prince of Monaco personally participated in The winter Olympic games five times, acting as a member of the national team of bobsleigh.
- There are offices in more than fifty different banks in Monaco.
- The price of real estate in Monaco will start from about thirty thousand euros per square meter.
- Monaco is not part of the European Union.
- However, the national currency in the principality is euro.
- The main station and most of the Monaco railway is located under the ground.
- The average life expectancy in Monaco is almost 90 years. Pretty impressive! 🙂
- The native inhabitants of Monaco, Monegasques, do not pay any taxes.
- The official language of the orincipality is French, but English is spoken by almost everyone. Many people here also speak Italian.
- Monaco’s airspace is open to helicopter flights only twenty minutes a day.
- Monaco is actually a city-state, without any countryside.